Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Flying By the Seat of My Pants

Keep Your Pants OnDoin’ a little airport blogging today. Am sitting here at my gate with my laptop, readying for the flight to Vegas.

Was just now once again going through the routine of removing shoes, emptying pockets, and so forth with which we’re all familiar. For some reason I keep making this mildly amusing mistake the last few times I’ve flown. Did it again just now.

Once I remove my belt and place it in the bin, I instinctively begin undoing my pants as well (no shinola). There I was again a few moments ago -- unbuttoned, zipper down, then realizing I’m not undressing at home.

Thankfully I’ve managed to catch myself each time -- before anyone else has had to tell me not to strip down entirely. Would make the subsequent full body scan unnecessary, though.

Lemme point y’all to a few different things elsewhere to listen to and/or read while I'm hurtling my way across the continent. Or at least to make you forget about me absent-mindedly stripping in public.

Gambling Tales PodcastYesterday I had a chance to listen to Episode 14 of the Gambling Tales Podcast on which I appeared as a guest along with Falstaff and Special K. Falstaff and I had a fun conversation about tourney reporting -- both live and online. We did it over Skype, and the quality is pretty good. Was glad to hear myself sounding somewhat coherent, too, given that I had been up for 40-plus hours or something just before we spoke (covering SCOOP). Click here to get to that episode, and you can confirm for me whether I'm making any sense.

'DUCY?' (2010) by David Sklansky and Alan SchoonmakerHave a couple of other items to share. I recently read the new one from David Sklansky, DUCY? Exploits, Advice, and Ideas of the Renowned Strategist, written in collaboration with Alan Schoonmaker. This is the book in which Sklansky offers thoughts and theories about a host of non-poker topics, including things like health care, the economy, legalizing drugs, gun control, the death penalty, and so forth. An interesting read, about which I’ll probably have more to say over here eventually. Meanwhile, I wrote a review of DUCY? for the Betfair poker blog, if yr curious.

Woman Poker PlayerFinally, California Jen and I contributed a new pair of “He Said/She Said” columns for Woman Poker Player for this month. This time we separately addressed all of this “Year of the Woman” talk we’ve been hearing in the wake of big wins by women in major events (Annie Duke in the NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship, Vanessa Selbst at NAPT Mohegan Sun, and Liv Boeree’s at EPT San Remo).

Click here to read what Jen said. And here’s my contribution.

Will try my best to keep my pants on for the rest of the trip. See y’all on the other side!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger stephenAmurphy said...

Ha, I've made the same mistake before in the security line. Just seems like the right thing to do. Email me to meet up at some point during the wsop -- steve.murphy@cardplayer.com -- so I can finally put a "face to the blog."

5/25/2010 11:57 AM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Yes, I think this is a much more common mistake than people think haha.

Will get in touch!

5/26/2010 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.